JOY – Jesus, Others Yourself
When I was a child in Sunday School I learned a nice little acronym…
J – Jesus first.
O – Others next.
Y – Yourself last.
We were taught that this was the attitude we were to have and that as we did it would bring great joy to our lives.
As I grew I came to realize that it really is more than just a nice little acronym. It is a very Christ like attitude. Just like Jesus we should be seeking the best interest of others before our own.
Romans 15:1-6 ESV
- We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
- Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.
- For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me.”
- For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope.
- May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus,
- That together with one voice you might glorify God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Isn’t it interesting that when Paul is speaking about us having an attitude that gives of ourselves to others he then speaks about our unity as a body. The result of which we see here is a greater ability to glorify God.
Our unity brings great glory to God and is a requirement for revival in our land. We must come to the place that we can put our own concerns aside and see to the needs of those around us. Knowing that as we bless others, out of a genuine heart for their needs, God will take care of us.