5 Steps to Chasing God
By Pastor Gary
At the beginning of this year, I was reminded again that the whole purpose of our salvation is that we can have a relationship with Almighty God! Isn’t that awesome! When I begin to think about who He is and the fact that scripture tells us that He wants to dwell in us, walk among us, be our God, and have us be His people (2 Cor. 6:16) it gets me all stirred up!
The God who created it all wants to be integrally involved in our lives and have an intimate relationship with us.
Its absolutely amazing to think of His love for us. I have found myself once again reminded that He is to be our pursuit. Sometimes we can get sidetracked and forget that the most important thing in life is our relationship with God. I believe that if we keep our relationship with God right He can show us how to keep all the other areas of our live in right order.
So with that in mind I wanted to give a simple list of things that will help you go deeper in your relationship with God.
1. Take time to visit with God everyday. It seems that our society gets busier and busier all the time and it may be harder to find time to spend with God. The thing that we need to remember is that if we are too busy for God than we are to busy. We need to make sure that God gets His time even if other things have to be put aside.
2. Next, remember that prayer is not just speaking to God, but it is also listening.Take time to just be silent and listen to what God has to say to you. I know that in the day we live in we are going to have to become more and more sensitive to listen to His voice. Peoples eternal destiny, as well as our own, could depend on your ability to hear His instructions, and we develop that in our personal time with God.
3. Make sure you are in the Book. Not a book, but The Book. Recognize the Bible for the treasure that it really is, God’s Word to you. One of the key ingredients to knowing God is knowing His Word. Always remember that the Word is the benchmark to which everything else must measure up to. With many voices competing for our ears these days we need to be sure that we run it through the filter of God’s word, if it’s not in the book, it’s not for us.
4. Stay tight with your church. The book of Hebrews tells us to not forsake the gathering together of the saints… and all the more as you see the day approaching. What day is that speaking of? The day of the return of Christ. As the return of Christ gets closer the importance of the church in our lives becomes greater and greater. With all the other influences of our society we need the church to help keep us focused on what is really important… our intimate relationship with God.
5. Share your faith with others. Great increase will come in our lives as we sow what God has given us into others. Of course the next thing I often hear is, “but I don’t know what to share.” The answer is actually very simple, remember that thing God spoke in your time with Him, or what you heard in the sermon at church… share that. It doesn’t have to long and eloquent. It just has to be real. Share in your own words from your heart. Another thing you can do is pray for someone to be healed. Supernatural things will begin to happen when you step out and share the love of God with others.
Whatever you do this year make sure that God has His place. Everything else pales in comparison. Remember that Beth and I are believing that God’s will is coming to pass in your life, and that as you follow hard after Him, this turns out to be your best year yet. May you truly live everyday of your life!